Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rain, Sleet, Snow...Spring in Michigan



Having lived in Michigan for 14 and half years now, I still am in shock and awe that when March arrives there are continuous "Winter Weather Advisories". You would think I would know by now what to expect.

On a day like yesterday where you couldn't tell if it was snowing or raining, I needed something warm and comforting to come out of my kitchen. I was craving something earthy, with herbal goodness, and I definitely wanted something with pasta. There's nothing better than a bowl of pasta on a rainy day. I had purchased some Whole Wheat Chicciole, a pasta shaped like snails. Chicciole actually means "snail" in Italian. One of my favorite brands for this pasta is Bionature.
I also had some white mushrooms. Immediately, I thought of creamy mushrooms over pasta. Fresh dill was on sale the last time I was at the grocery store, so I knew the combination of creamy mushrooms and onions over a whole wheat pasta would be complimented well by the dill. I was getting close to finding my earthy, herbal, pasta goodness. I live with a carnivore, I mentioned him a few posts ago, therefore I wanted to incorporate some pork tenderloin that I had in the freezer. I thought I would simply make pan seared pork tenderloin medallions. This dish already was full of flavor, and kind of heavy considering the creamy mushrooms and whole wheat pasta, but since I was cutting the meat into small pieces, I thought I would, in the words of Emeril Lagasse, kick it up a notch. Since we are still in this confusing transition from winter to spring, I thought I would bring back an old time favorite from the icy days; nutmeg. I prepared a rub for the pork consisting of nutmeg, dried tarragon, ground coriander, paprika, and white pepper corn. Now, we're cooking.
The dish was comforting and incredibly satisfactory. The nutmeg in the pork rub played so well with the creamy mushrooms and onions, and the tarragon with its licorice hints was outstanding in its supporting role. The dish was earthy, herby, creamy, and surprisingly fresh with the addition of fresh dill over the pasta. A perfect meal for a rainy, snowy,sleeting Michigan spring day.

Here's the recipe:

Chopped White Mushrooms
Sliced White Onion
Olive Oil
Garlic Powder
Milk
Parmesan Cheese
Black Pepper

Whole Wheat Chicciole Pasta
Fresh Dill

Pork Tenderloin
Pork Rub:
Dried Tarragon
Ground Coriander
Nutmeg
Paprika
Salt
White Pepper Corn


Pork Preparation:
1.1 1/2 teaspoon of tarragon, 1 1/2 teaspoon of coriander, 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1 teaspoon of paprika, 1 teaspoon of white pepper corn mixed to make rub. Cut the meat in half inch medallions and sprinkle with salt. Rub the meat with spices. Pan sear in olive oil. For medium cooked meat, about 5-7 minutes.

Mushrooms:
1. Slice white mushrooms and onions. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil to medium heat. Add the mushrooms and onions and 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder to saute. When onions have become translucent, add 1/2 cup of milk. Bring the heat down to medium low. Add about 1/4 cup of shredded parmesan and black pepper. Let sauce simmer until it starts to become less runny and more thick.

Pasta:
Make according to directions.


I hope you enjoy this dish and please share any variations that you like to include. No matter if you are accustomed to the Michigan "Spring" or a dreamer like me, this dish will sooth any kind of rainy day blues.

As always, Pleasant Eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment